Monday, July 24, 2006

Oh, crap!

Curses!!! Weighed myself this morning, something that I decided I would only do once per week so that there would be a chance to see any real differences, and I have gained a pound. I now weigh 15st 9lbs.

I waxed lyrical last week about how I would be happy to lose only 2lbs per week, and how that would hopefully indicate a sustainable change, but gaining a pound??? Where the heck did that come from?

Now ok, as recorded, I went out a few times last week and had “normal” meals, but the point is that these were no different to what I would have had before I started trying to change things. Since then I have done at least 30 minutes of exercise on the cross-trainer most days – and this is breaking-into-a-good-sweat exercise not a mild jaunt – plus I have been doing 200 assorted crunches with each session. They do say that just increasing your exercise alone should help you reduce weight, so the fact that I have replaced a lot of my meals, with salads and healthy food should have helped twice as much. I am not looking for earth-shattering results, but gaining a pound?? That sucks!

I have spoken to a couple of people who have pointed out one or two possibly contributing factors. There’s the old muscle-weighs-more-than-fat cliché. Well, ok, perhaps it does, but I can’t really see that my 30 minutes on the cross-trainer will have converted that much muscle fat into muscle. I shall have to invest in a tape measure and start recording measurements as well.

Second, and hopefully more hopeful, someone was telling me that the very hot weather last week will have made my body retain a lot more water. Now I thought that when you started increasing your consumption of water, it stopped your body from retaining as much.

Maybe this takes time, and the old bod isn’t used to the idea that it doesn’t need to retain at the moment, plus maybe there is something in this idea that the body retains more when it’s hot.

The thing is that I’m sure the principle ought to be right. By exercising more and eating lots of fresh fruit and vegetables instead of junk, I ought to be able to lose weight. So, I have decided that I will give it another week.

If I don’t see better results next week, then I will have to do something different.

The main thing is, not to give up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»

Anonymous said...

Very pretty design! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»