Thursday, July 27, 2006

Is this what it is about?

Whew! Just done a good session on the cross-trainer, and I sort of get an idea what people mean when they talk about getting a high from exercise. Fit people probably don’t understand, but for unfit people, that sounds like a whole crock.

When you’re unfit, exercise is just plain unpleasant. You don’t get through the pain-barrier, you don’t get second-wind, you just have a thoroughly miserable time. You have, I suspect, to reach a certain fitness threshold before you start to get any of those benefits.

(I will add here that I in no way think that I am at that stage yet, but I did, I hope, get a slight inkling of what it might be like one day)

No exercise got done yesterday, alas. I had to head straight off to the event after work. I also pigged out on BBQ chicken. It was not in any sort of sauce – bonus – but it was bloody good.

Stayed there overnight and had a cooked breakfast this morning. M-mmm, I do love a cooked breakfast; what the hotels here in the UK call a “Full English Breakfast”. Fried bacon, fried sausage, fried eggs, mushrooms, baked beans, tomatoes, hash browns (although those are, of course American gate-crashers to the party). Full of calories, full of fat and full of sheer scrumptiousness. I could happily eat a full English breakfast every day. I would no doubt soon be 38 stone, but what a way to go. So, I never cook them for myself, but I do take advantage of them when they are on offer.

One caveat though, no fried bread. I hate fried bread. Eurgh! I don’t know how people can eat it. Too much grease, too concentrated. I was put off it in the school canteen 30-odd years ago, and I have not been able to face it since. Toast. That is what the righteous breakfast has, not fried bread, toast.

However, I digress. Other news on the lifestyle front, I have invested in a new juicer, which turns out to be a real pain in the butt for doing citrus – and I do love fresh juice – so I have got a cheap citrus juicer from Tescos (£5.99) and it is very good. (I gave my previous cheap and cheerful juicer from Argos (14-odd quid) away as a present (asked for) and this one is better at half the price. Easier to clean).

I have also decided to try out Psyllium husks as a Fibre supplement. 2 teaspoons morning and night. Good for the digestion, so I am told, and bulks one out too.

I’m off to Scotland tomorrow until Monday, so no diet and no official exercise; however I hope that I will do a fair amount of yomping up and down hills, which should count a bit.

Back Monday.

4 comments:

Fab said...

Hi!
After I read your blog I feel like doing something again, I have been so lazy and I cannot do it regularly. But it is true, better to get high on adrenaline and being healthy than just sitting around and drinking coffee and bier...I am going to stand up right now and run!
Fab

M.A.D. said...

Ooo! A reader! How exciting!

Welcome, FAB.

This whole blogging thing is new to me, so for my first comment to be positive is great.

thanks - and I hope you enjoyed the run... :o)

Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

Anonymous said...

I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»